Requirements for Fire Fighter
Full-time firefighters help protect the public in emergency situations. respond to a wide variety of calls: as well as fires, they assist at car crashes, chemical spills, flooding, and water rescue. A Firefighter is an important figure within the public health and safety industry. Firefighters combat and extinguish fires, often working in high-pressure circumstances. Providing fire prevention awareness to schools and local organizations is another layer of fighting fires that Firefighters typically handle. Firefighters are trained first responders and are adept at handling minor medical care and emergency services.
- Perform firefighting work, including preventing, combating, and extinguishing fires to protect lives, property, and the environment
- Operate fire equipment and tools appropriately
- Provide emergency medical care within the scope of practice
- Quickly and effectively analyze hazardous situations and take the appropriate course of action
- Participate in training, classes, and drills in firefighting, emergency medical care, disaster response, and specialized rescue
- Perform general maintenance work of fire equipment and facilities
- Minimizes fire damage by responding to alarms, driving and operating equipment, regulating water pressure, combating and extinguishing fires, and rescuing and reviving people.
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements, following manufacturer’s instructions, and troubleshooting malfunctions.
- Notifies supervisor of needed repairs.
- Evaluates new equipment and techniques.
- Maintains operations by following policies and procedures and reporting needed changes.
- Provides information by completing reports.
- Handles minor medical care and other emergency services.
- Maintains technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, studying publications, and participating in scheduled drills.
- Maintains fire station building, grounds, and related equipment by completing maintenance schedules.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Firefighter Qualifications / Skills:
- Physical fitness
- Decision making
- Handles pressure
- Deals with uncertainty
- Emotional control
- Safety management
Education and Experience and Age Requirements for Fire Fighter:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Must pass physical and written tests
- Drug screening exam
- Medical exam
- Valid drivers’ license
- At least 18 years old